“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go”
If I had to pick only one thing (other than relationships with other people) that has made the biggest difference in the level of happiness, productivity, contentment and success in my life, that one thing would have to be BOOKS.
I LOVE reading. I love reading for pleasure (my favorite fictional book series is The Black Dagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward–love me some sexy vampires!) but even more than that, I really love reading for personal development. I absolutely credit much of the transformation that has taken place in my life to the multitude of books that I have read. Reading has provided me with a wealth of information, inspiration and motivation. Plus–research shows that reading can actually make you sexy (it’s true–you can read more about it here). So, with so many incredible reasons to read, the question simply becomes, what to read–and I’m here to help you with that. In order to help you live your most FabYOUlous year yet, I’ve compiled a list of twelve books that have all had a huge impact on my life. These books are all from the personal development genre but some are more geared toward spirituality while others are geared more toward business development or goal setting. One thing that they all have in common though, is that each one of these books has made a powerful and lasting impact on my life, and I’m sure that the same will be true for you.
If you are ready to take your life to the next level in 2018, add these twelve books to your reading list today!
12 Books to Read for a FabYOUlous 2018
- The Universe Has Your Back–Transform Fear to Faith by Gabrielle Bernstein: Okay, I know that Gabby’s new book Judgement Detox is out now and garnering rave reviews, but as wonderful as it is (and it is wonderful), my favorite book by everyone’s favorite girlfriend guru is still The Universe Has Your Back. This book came into my life at exactly the right time (just further proof in my mind that the Universe does indeed have my back) and had a tremendous impact upon the way I view everything. I found myself burning through two highlighters as I read this book because I was literally highlighting something on nearly every page. With simple reminders such as “the Universe picks up what you put out” to deeper lessons on manifestation, Universal co-creation and consciousness, this book has given me more confidence to boldly pursue my dreams, because I am able to see the evidence that the Universe does truly have my back.
- How to Live an Awesome Life–How to Live Well, Do Good, Be Happy by Polly Campbell: This book is a quick and easy read (I read the entire thing on a flight from Denver to Florida) but just because it’s simple doesn’t mean that it isn’t powerful (and funny…and inspiring). I especially love the fact that this book can be read from cover to cover; or you can simply jump around to the chapters that most appeal to you in any given moment. I’ve read the book through entirely, but I also find myself going back to certain chapters when I need a little boost in that particular subject.
- Finding FabYOUlous–A ‘Self-Help with Sass’ Guide to Finding, Celebrating and Capitalizing On the FabYOUlousness that Makes You, YOU by Melissa Venable: Out of all the books in the history of the world, this book has had the biggest impact on my life. Granted, that’s because I’m the one who wrote the book, and the process of writing a book is bound to have a lasting impact on the writer. Despite my slightly biased point of view however; this book truly does have a lot to offer for anyone who feels stuck in a less than fulfilling existence. Based upon my own experience of turning my life around after escaping from an abusive marriage and battling a debilitating Anorexia Nervosa diagnosis, Finding FabYOUlous provides a wealth of inspiration and guidance, coupled with actionable steps to help the reader discover her true and powerful purpose and begin living that purpose in every aspect of her daily life. With chapters titled “Ditch the Drama to find Your Dharma” and “Do My Boundaries Make Me a B!tch?”, Finding FabYOUlous is a fun and entertaining read that also packs a powerful, purposeful punch. Oh and if that’s not enough to convince you to check out Finding FabYOUlous, it also provides readers with access to a private website that is full of additional material to supplement what is in the book.
- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho: This is a self-help book disguised as an adventure tale. Normally, I’m not drawn to this kind of book, however; this book (which has been around for over 25 years) captivated me from the very start. The story follows the life of Santiago, an Andalusian shepherd boy as he sets out on an adventure to find worldly treasure, and yet (through a series of trials, journeys and magical experiences) discovers something of far greater value. By combining magic, mysticism and ancient wisdom, The Alchemist has transformed the lives of countless readers across generations. Santiago’s journey teaches us about the essential wisdom of listening to our hearts, of recognizing opportunity and learning to read the omens strewn along life’s path, and, most importantly, to follow our dreams.
- The Desire Map by Danielle LaPorte: I absolutely love Danielle LaPorte. Seriously, I want to meet her somehow and become her new BFF. She’s cool, strong, beautiful and oh so smart. I make it a point to read her book, The Desire Map every year around my birthday. It lines out an incredible goal-setting strategy that I have found to be more inspiring and effective than any other goal-setting system out there (and trust me, I’ve tried them all). Danielle’s Desire Map system is all about setting “goals with soul” and freeing yourself to set life goals based upon how you want to feel. By combining the power of emotions with the study of manifestation, Danielle guides the reader through a goal-setting process that is rich with purpose and intention while also honoring the ambitious nature within each of us. I love Danielle’s work so much that I’ve gone a step further in my study and have become a trained Desire Map facilitator, so, if you like the book but find yourself wanting to go even deeper–hit me up, I’d love to work with you.
- Material Girl, Mystical World–The Now Age Guide to a High-Vibe Life by Ruby Warrington: Okay–I’ll confess, I don’t usually read books that are this woo-woo. However; I had recently had an unexplainable, mystical experience that left me scratching my head and wondering to myself “how on earth did she know that” after a self-proclaimed, intuitive psychic came up to me (totally out of the blue) and told me something about myself that (I swear) she couldn’t have known. That incident still gives me shivers when I think about it, and it led me to start exploring topics that, before then, I had always considered to be too “new-agey” and well…weird. It wasn’t long after I opened this book however; that I began to understand just how much about this Universe there was that I didn’t understand. I love how relatable Ruby is as she herself explores new age topics such as Astrology, Numerology, the Tarot, Oracles, Crystals, Shamanism etc. Sure, I still find some of it to be a little weird, but my mind has become much more open to possibilities and willing to consider that just because I don’t fully understand something, doesn’t mean that it’s not legit.
- Live Your Best Day Ever–Thirty-Five Strategies for Daily Success by Anne-Marie Faiola: With practical advice such as “align real-life time management with your goals” and “assume goodwill”, this book is full of powerful strategies that, if implemented, are sure to help you truly improve the quality of your days. I especially love that each chapter includes suggestions on how to take the advice from each chapter and make it personal, as well as how to apply it to your business or professional life.
- 365 Ways to Live Generously by Sharon Lipinski: This book is broken up into 365 short chapters that are intended to be read once a day for a year, but I’ll confess, I finished the book in like three weeks. The basic premise of the book is that the only thing standing between you and the life that you want, are your habits and that the habit of generosity is the one habit that can have the greatest impact upon your level of fulfillment. 365 Ways to Live Generously features lessons each day that focus on one of the seven generosity habits: Physical health, Mindfulness, Relationships, Connection with self, Gratitude, Simplicity and Philanthropy. Each habit appears once a week, giving you a year to practice and make them all a part of your daily life. Using this inspiring book, you’ll develop the habits needed to create a life that’s good for you and for others.
- 52 Ways to Live a Kick-Ass Life–B.S. Free Wisdom to Ignite Your Inner Badass and Live the Life You Deserve by Andrea Owen: In this powerful book, the author guides you through her acclaimed strategies for creating a more fulfilling life. Each goal-orientated lesson empowers the reader to take control of the barriers that keep her from achieving the love and success she desires. From breaking the unrewarding cycle of people pleasing to dealing with unsupportive friends, this book approaches the problems that we all face with a candid look at why you aren’t satisfied–and how to fix it. This book’s life-changing wisdom helps you to uncover your self-limiting beliefs as well as push you out of your comfort zone by zeroing in on your most difficult issues. Plus–the author’s fun but plucky personality shines through the book and makes you want to form your own “girl gang” with her.
- 50 Ways to Yay–Transformative Tools for a Whole Lot of Happy by Alexi Panos: While we’re on the topic of girl gangs, let’s add Alexi Panos to ours too. She’s super cool, super beautiful and super enlightening. Alexi once liked a post that I had posted on Instagram and that was it–I had an immediate girl crush. Her book, 50 Ways to Yay has 50 empowering and thought-provoking lessons that will help you to break out of the ordinary and jump into the extraordinary. With her guidance, you can experience a domino effect of inner peace, inspiration, and a whole lot of happy.
- She Means Business–Turn Your Ideas into Reality and Become a Wildly Successful Entrepreneur by Carrie Green: If you are at all interested in starting your own business, you need to check out this book. With advice on creating your brand, moving beyond doubt, building a platform and so much more, this book will walk you through the basics and help you lay a solid foundation for your business pursuits. Trust me, If you’re a creative and ambitious female entrepreneur, or are contemplating the entrepreneurial path, this book will provide the honest, realistic, and practical tools you’ll need to follow your heart and bring your vision to life
- Platform–Get Noticed in a Noisy World by Michael Hyatt: To be successful in the market today, you must possess two strategic assets: a compelling product and a meaningful platform. In this step-by-step guide, author, Michael Hyatt, takes readers behind the scenes, into the new world of social media success. He shows you what best-selling authors, public speakers, entrepreneurs, musicians, and other creatives are doing differently to win customers in today’s crowded marketplace. I love this book because, well, because I want to be Michale Hyatt (or at least a female version of Michael Hyatt) and I have found his advice on how to increase one’s influence and monetize it to be especially helpful as I grow FabYOUlous Life and promote Finding FabYOUlous.
I truly, truly, with all of my heart do believe that reading these books will add so much clarity, abundance, fulfillment and purpose to your life. Don’t delay–there is still plenty of time to make it through this entire list before the end of 2018, but the sooner you get to reading, the sooner you’ll start experiencing your most FabYOUlous life!
For some added FabYOUlousness, be sure to click the image below to get your TWO free ebooks: “365 Questions to Help You Find Your Answers” and “50 FabYOUlous Ways to Energize Your Life”